Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Our camping trip

I took the boys camping last night. Chris is in Washington D.C. this week so it was just me and the boys. I had to make a trip to Grand Rapids for a doctor appointment with an SCI specialist at Mary Free Bed Hospital. After the appointment was finished we continued on to the Lake Michigan campsite at Muskegon State Park. It was a great campground right on the beach with great accessibility features. Although we couldn't really utilize them all because it rained/drizzled the whole time. After spending an hour in the tent where the boys and I drew pictures... read books... and realized that we'd rather be outside in the rain than stuck in the tent. 
I got a fire started in the rain. It was a proud moment. Not so good for little Aaron. He burned his hand on the roaster stick while I was handing the man my camera.
The boys loved having their own flashlight. Aaron especially liked the head lamp.
It was cold, windy, and overcast at 10 am this morning, yet the beach was still so fun.
Their faces were filthy the whole time. It was awesome!
This picture was taken next to my artwork that was purchased by Mary Free Bed Hospital.  It was fun to see it on the walls. It was even more exciting for the doctor to walk into the exam room and say "So you are the artist! I love your piece!" I was thrilled.  I'm still smiling about it. I have never had art out in public before - its very exciting.

6 comments:

dacjohns said...

Emily, you are amazing! I always look forward to checking your blog. Thank you.

Jean said...

Camping at the beach ... alone ... with the boys!!! You're AMAZING!

ps - too cool about the art. Is there anything you can't do???

Welch Mom said...

Looks like you had so much fun. I do not think I would have done that alone. Good for you!

Missy said...

Emily, you ROCK THE HOUSE!! I cannot imagine having the guts to take that kind of an excursion, but as usual, you pulled it off with grace and love and your children are SO blessed to have you as a mother!

And congrats on your artwork! I also loved that piece!

Kmcqueen said...

This absolutely amazes me. There aren't too many moms who would tackle such a trip on their own without help.

It sounds like this was a good experience for all!

na said...

YOU ARE FAMOUS!!