Buckingham Palace gate.
Speakers corner guy.
Hyde Park was amazing. Huge. People everywhere.
Portabello Road Beauty
Portabello Road Oddness
Windows like this were everywhere
How often do you see a carousel right next to a building like this?
I saw Les Miserable. It was incredible and totally cheap. $32 for great seats!
This was at the British museum and was totally amazing to me. It was on the mummy floor. They have like 60 mummies there. It is a body that was buried directly in the sand. It was so well preserved there was still hair. Yikes.
The somerset house ice skating rink - so romantic.
St. Paul's Cathedral.
Now that I am home and have a minute to look back on my London experience, I realize how unique it was. On all the vacations I have ever been on - not one has been such an adventure. This trip was an adventure for several reasons.
- I was alone for 5 or 6 days of it. I found my own way around the city using public transit (Which was not always very accessible. For example, I was on Notting Hill and it started to pour down rain. I was soaked so I just wanted to get back to the hotel. There was a tube station right in front of me with no elevator down to it. So my only choice was to walk a mile, get on a bus, walk another half mile, and take another bus back to the hotel. In the pouring rain.)
- It was the first time I have been away from the kids. Around day 7 I started to really miss them. I realized that the memories Chris and I were making together were precious and we can store those in our memories for years to come.
- It was expensive and I had to turn off my frugal switch. But we found that going to the grocery store on the first day and keeping some general food items in our room saved us a ton. The grocery food there was really cheap. Produce might have even been cheaper than in the states. But restaurants were twice as much. Had a lot of good soups. They love their soup and crusty bread. mmm - so do I.
- The flight there and back was very long. Its an 8 hour flight and we spent an extra hour on the tarmack - so I caught up on movie watching. 4 in a row.
- It was great to see a place where things are just older. The buildings, statues, sidewalks, roads, were old and I really valued that.
The adventure had many ups and downs but it was always a great experience. We are so glad we went.
3 comments:
The things we take for granted. Being able to go down stairs. I'm so glad you were able to have such an amazing adventure though. I hope to someday be able to go to England. It's on my life list.
Amazing pictures, amazing stories, amazing adventure!
Glad you're home.
What an adventure you had Emily. I am glad you were able to do it. Sorry to hear about the lousy weather and having to be stuck in it so long. But overall I see it was great. So that is good. I love the flowers that are sold all over. I would like that. I would probably spend a fortune over there, just on fresh flowers. The picture of the museum was very interesting to me. So many different types of structures in one spot. It is neat. It is funny too about Hyde Park. You mentioned how crowded it is with people and in your picture there are no people. Funny. And the photo of the pub. It is just as I imagine them to look like. To see one up close is even better. Glad all went well and you are home.
Post a Comment