Its been almost 2 months since I posted in here last. That is a record for me. My life went into a tailspin in late September, and now I think I can write a little bit about it.
A couple months ago, we bought plane tickets to go out west, visit family and do the St. George marathon. Then a couple days before we were to leave, Chris' grandma Vera died at the age of 92. With the help of Chris' parents, we bought new plane tickets to leave a day early than we had originally planned so that we could be there for the funeral. It as an emotional time as
we got to see all of Chris' family and attend the funeral and burial. That was Friday - Monday.





Tuesday was the only normal day of that week. We went to Hogle Zoo with Chris' family and toured SLC a bit. Alex lost his first tooth and we prepared to travel to St. George the next day.
Wednesday we drove down to St. George, met up with my sister Michelle and greeted my brother Justin and his family as they came into town from California. Thursday morning everything changed. We got a call from my mom that my dad had a heart attack. He had it two days prior, but was not treated until Thursday morning when my mom and dad realized that something was really wrong. Monday of that week my dad had a procedure where they put a scope down his nose and took a little sample from his lungs because he had questionable spots that appeared on a CT scan. When my dad had intense chest pain on Tuesday, he thought it was just a result of the procedure.
So many things happened once he was admitted to the hospital, I hope I get all the details in. (and it the right order) First, they put a couple stints in his heart to keep the arteries open in a certain area. They did this by going in through a point in his groin. The stints were good, but they got a clot and they had to go in again. After/while the this was happening my dad's kidneys were failing and they put him on dialysis. I guess this happens sometimes as a result of the dye they use in the stint procedure. Friday we had Alex's birthday party.

After the marathon on Saturday morning, Justin and Michelle drove their families down to be with my parents. I got a ride on Chris' dad's plane. (It was awesome, we went over the grand canyon.) While I was there from Sunday morning to Monday evening I got to spend 2, 2 hour sessions with him in the ICU. It was touch and go and his heart rate was not very consistent.
I left and he was looking better than when I got there. But Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday of that week were not good. My dad's heart crashed several times and they had to defibrillate him. But once the doctors found a medication that regulated his heart and put in a pacemaker/defibrillator he was on the road to recovery. My sister April came down from Oregon to be with him during that time as well as Michelle, Justin, and Brandon. I came back to Michigan, but it felt like every 8 hours I would call and something new was happening.
My dad went through so much and continues to walk on pins and needles to keep his heath in place. He is the ultimate trooper. He was discharged from the hospital and his home now. My mom and he have many many doctors appointments each week. When I talk to them on the phone, they are sounding good and little rested.
As Veterans Day approaches, I think of my Dad and the life he has led. He has honorably served our country and led our family. Our country and our family are never far from his thoughts. I love him.





3 comments:
Wow Emily. I'm so sorry about your Dad. And so glad that he is doing better. His smile from that hospital bed is awesome. Must be a great man.
How was the marathon?
Ah man, Em. That's just rough, especially being so far away from your parents. I'm with Jessie too, how was the marathon?
Heart attacks don't mess around! I'm glad he got help soon enough! I worked in cardiac rehab inpatient and outpatient and saw it all, stents, bypass surgery, even heart transplants. Most all the patients I worked with were remarkable and amazing people. I hope your dad continues on a speedy recovery. If he's normally pretty active I'd suggest he look into cardiac rehab, there they can monitor his heart rate and heart rhythm while he exercises and get him comfortable doing those things again. It made a huge difference in their lives and blessed mine by working with them.
Post a Comment