Thursday, March 21, 2013

Home Projects: Problems and Solutions

Homes have problems almost constantly. Here are a couple of the solutions I've been working on in 2013.

Problem: I love to feel like I'm in my grandma's house sometimes.
Solution: I have a theme going as I decorate my guest room. It is "grandma's house". I have found that I really enjoy having one room where I display heirlooms, family paintings, and old style family pictures. I really enjoy going in there and feeling like I'm back at Mimi and Grandpa's house. This grouping is a Lion House plate, a cross stitch I did as a girl and gave to my grandparents, and a couple prints of my Aunt Erla's paintings. 

Problem: Jacob is addicted to handheld devices. 
Solution: We have to be stealthy and hide them very often. So I made a charging station from 3 large books. I hollowed out the books, lined it with felt, and made a hole in the side for the cords to go through the back. I love the way it looks and he hasn't found the hiding place yet.



Problem: Our tools were overflowing from a box Chris got as a teenager
Solution: Our workbench got a new addition - I found the craftsman toolbox to keep all of our hand tools in order. That and a set of tiny drawers from Grandma and Grandpa, and we are good to go. I work out there all the time so yes, I get to blog about it. 

Problem: Art supplies should be quickly available, but not accessible to toddler hands. I want them to be out in the open so they get used everyday. And I want them to be clearly labled. 
Solution: My little brother Brandon (an art teacher in AZ) solved my problem when he gave me these 12 awesome bins that can be labled by sliding a card in the slot.  I placed them on an IKEA shelf and on top, I used open tupperware containers placed in butcher trays for my kid friendly mediums. (crayons, colored pencils, markers, glue, etc) I can easily get down 3-5 mediums on the tray and use the tray to dump out one of the mediums for easier child access. Plus I love that when markers are on a tray, they don't roll and the caps dont end up all over the floor. YAY for TRAYS!


Problem: Scritpure study can be boring sometime for kids.
Solution: I made a flip book out of a LDS issued illustrated scripture book. We use it at family scripture time to visualize the scriptures as well as read them. 



Problem: I bought these great night stands 2 years ago 
Solution: I finally got around to refinishing them. 

No comments: