Friday, January 2, 2009

"Sight Word" Shooting Game


This is the Sight Word Shooting game we made. I took all 31 of Alex's Hooked on Phonics cards and attached them to this little board with velcro. 

  1. I tap and point to a word with the light saber.
  2. Alex tries to hit that word with his Nerf Gun.
3. I tap the word with the dart and read it.
4.  We each use the word in a sentence.
5.  I tap the word again, spell it, and he says it with me. 
Objective: Alex will be able to memorize these difficult to sound out sight words. 

In these five steps he gets to look at the word 3 times, put it in context, say it, and spell it.  He knows that he can sound out any word in his beginner books but this board is to practice the words that break the rules and are difficult to sound out.

He loves it. To him its the "Mom plays with the lights saber and I play with the Nerf Gun" game.

4 comments:

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

You are such a good mom. And so creative. Way to go. When does Alex start Kindergarten?

Unknown said...

He starts in the fall. The cut off deadline here is December.

jethrojones said...

Wow, Emily, you are pretty much amazing.

Missy said...

Brilliant! I learn so much from you.