"A little encouragement goes a long way."
Just finished watching Super Nanny after a particularly exhausting day. (I'm not sure why I would watch a show about children with behavior problems 5 minutes after getting my kids into bed) This episode was the most extreme poor behavior I have ever seen. What I loved to see was how praise had an immediate affect on the children.
So tomorrow I am going to structure the day so I have opportunities to encourage the boys. I realize that there are many ways I can busy myself during the day and give no encouraging words. I can't exactly encourage them while they are watching TV or if they are playing alone.
I am just going to brainstorm a bit. Activities where I have opportunity to encourage:
- Doing a project at the table
- Cleaning (they love washing windows, vacuuming, washing floors)
- Cooking
- Puzzles and games
- Kids doing play-dough in the kitchen while I work
- Teach Aaron to dress himself
- Working on letters and numbers
- Get out the beginner reading material with Alex
These activities also can be the most frustrating, messy, requiring the most work. But if my Heavenly Father was peering through my window, I know he would love to see me using my agency to teach my children (and His) how to use their agency righteously. As I say "well done" to my children, He says "well done" to me.
3 comments:
Hi, Emily! I love this post, because I've been working on this, too. Riley has developed this glare that he uses on me whenever he's upset. And I'm pretty sure he learned it from me. (Okay, I'm more than pretty sure...) So I'm hoping if I can use encouragement and patience, he'll learn that stuff instead.
Ah, parenting...
Praise, such a simple thing, yet so hard to do at times. I try to praise Abigail when she does good things, but you're right. It's hard to offer praise when they are watching TV. "Good job on sitting so still and quietly." Yeah right. But it's true, praise really does turn misbehavior into good behavior, something I was taught in El.Ed. way back in the day, and one of the things I can implement in my own home.
So Emily...any thoughts on how to encourage your child to stop using words and phrases that are rude? Like "stinky bum"!! That one drives me nuts!
You are right though, when you spend one on one time with your children and your praise their behavior changes. It is amazing!
Post a Comment