Monday, March 29, 2010

Alex the Hero

After I wrote my last blog post the boys and I went for a little bike ride. I wanted to get used the hand cycle and the boys loved riding along side me. When we were about 1/4 mile from the house my front tire came off. The bike has tubular tires which is where the tire and tube are one unit.

I couldn't even move the bike if I wanted to and I forgot my cell phone at home. As I looked at the tire, started to explain that this was a little emergency, and said "Alex here's what I need you to do..." Then Alex said to me "So I ride my bike home and bring you your wheelchair?"

He knew just what to do and I was a little scared to let him go but I knew we really didn't have another choice. It was 6:30 at night and about 40 degrees so we were anxious to get back home. About 15 minutes after he left I saw him coming in the distance. He was still really far away and he seemed to be struggling. About 15 minutes later, I heard him crying and screaming to himself in frustration. It made me wonder why he was struggling so much. He kept going and after 30 minutes of struggle I saw him about 100 feet away and noticed that the brake was on one of the wheels. He push/dragged my chair the whole way!

I was so thankful to see him. (but so frustrated that I put him through that kind of agony) I could just see of him the whole way thinking "This is so hard! but Mom needs her chair!" He really amazed and humbled me by his attitude and how he refused to give up. I am very thankful for my oldest son. He is a special spirit.

8 comments:

Theblindman2 said...

Brave kid, I'm so proud of him.

jethrojones said...

With parents like you two, he doesn't really have a choice but to be amazing. That is a great story; thanks for sharing.

Daisha said...

What a sweet little guy you have Emily!

Jessie said...

That Alex. Wow what an amazing kid.

Kmcqueen said...

That ability to see what needs to be done and do it and follow through even when it's really hard is a sign of amazing character. I'm so proud of that young man!

alisa and sometimes brandon said...

He is a hero! What a stalwart little sweetheart.

Jean said...

Don't know how I missed this post on my last stroll through your bolg ... Alex, you totally ROCK little dude! I keep getting misty as I picture his little braveness comming up the street.

april said...

WOW Sis!
i completely agree with everything your sweet friends have said here ... especially with Jethro.! very inspiring story, thanks for sharing with us!